The Kwandran Property, located on Putnam Pike in West Glocester and is used as a wildlife preserve. The eastern side of Kwandrans has an interesting and increasing rare geographical feature: a glacial esker, which is long ridge of sand and gravel. Also on the property, not far from the fire station, is a historic cemetery with at least one Revolutionary War veteran. This location is not open to the public and there are no marked or maintained trails.
Located on this property is the historic Clarkville Schoolhouse. The land for the existing school was donated by Mr. Kwandran so his daughters could attend school nearby, and quickly get home for farm chores. The school was originally located in nearby Clarkville but when Bowdish Lake was dammed the school location was submerged. Clarkville School was the last operating one-room school house in Glocester until the mid 1940's.
Please follow the rules and regulations of the Glocester Land Trust while visiting this property.
Directions: Located on Putnam Pike across from Bowdish Lake Campground.
West Glocester, RI